Woodward Academy a Joint Commission (JCAHO) accredited program opened on the campus of the Woodward Resource Center on July 10, 1995. Today, Woodward Academy is a 248 bed residential treatment program for female and male youth. Woodward Academy offers two different residential programs ranging from 5 to 18 months working with students from 12 to 18 years of age. Woodward Academy also offers one non-residential program, the Day School. The Day School serves male and female students from the greater Des Moines and surrounding areas who are struggling in the public school setting.
Our programs are aimed at redirecting delinquent, negative behaviors to positive, socially acceptable patterns. Woodward’s treatment philosophy focuses on behavioral and cognitive change through the establishment of a normative culture using the sociological and cognitive behavioral model as well as offender specific treatment services.
PROGRAMS OFFERED/STUDENT PROFILES
Sexual Offender Treatment
To be considered for admission, the juvenile:
- May be a sexual offender.
- Will be a female or male between the ages of 12 and 18.
- May have an AXIS I diagnosis, as defined in the DSM-IV.
- May have an AXIS II diagnosis.
- May be on prescribed psychotropic medication(s).
- May have demonstrated sexually aggressive crimes.
- May demonstrate violent behavior and lack of impulse control.
- Behavior, conduct, oppositional, and /or anti-social disorders, not a diagnosis