3921 Oakland Dr.
Kalamazoo, MI 49008
For additional information or to make a referral, please contact:
Sequel Youth and Family Services has been providing services to youth at Lakeside Academy since the summer of 2007. Lakeside Academy, a Joint Commission(JCAHO) accredited facility, offers a variety of treatment options for boys ranging from 30 days to 18 months. Located on a 50-acre wooded campus in Kalamazoo, Michigan, Lakeside serves youth from multiple states. Positive behavioral change remains the focus throughout a student’s stay at the Academy and the established positive student culture allows for these behavioral changes. All students are challenged to change their negative patterns of thinking and behavior.
- Residential Treatment for habitually delinquent boys
- Residential Treatment for male sexual offenders and sexually reactive youth
- Mental Health and Behavioral Stabilization programming for boys
- Short Term Observation and Assessment Programming
- Males, ages 12 to 18 years old
- Full-scale IQ above 70
- Low level of empathy
- Demonstrates apathy or irresponsibility
- Lacks self-discipline
- Exhibits poor coping skills
- History of substance abuse
- History of truancy or poor school performance
- Poor coping skills
- Poor frustration tolerance
- Angry outbursts
- History of violence or aggression
- 24 Hour Supervision
- Social Skills – Leadership Skills
- Problem Solving Skills – Time Management Skills
- Positive Values Development – Community Service Projects
- Healthy Living
WHOM DO WE SERVE?
Students accepted to Lakeside Academy are most commonly juvenile offenders with a history of criminal or delinquent behavior. The program at Lakeside Academy focuses on behavioral change and is largely aimed at students who are impulsive, have a low tolerance for frustration, are easily angered, have a difficulty finding fault with their behavior, thinking or reasoning. These students may also have a limited willingness to accept responsibility for past patterns of behavior. Students referred to Lakeside Academy have limited moral reasoning, considerable criminal pride, and identify with anti-social values. Lakeside Academy students are absent of significant mental illness and extensive histories of self-harm or suicidal tendencies. Students are typically amenable to change, and ready to look toward their future successes.