Sequel TSI Courtland was established in 1990 as a residential treatment facility, licensed by the Alabama Department of Mental Health, serving males placed by the Alabama Department of Human Resources and Alabama State Multiple Needs. Sequel TSI Courtland is an Intensive Secure Facility with 28 beds for males with inappropriate sexual issues and 18 beds for males with severe emotional and behavioral issues. Our program approach to treatment is the cognitive behavioral model. Therapeutic services include: individual, group and family counseling, specialized sexual issues treatment, social and life skills, activities/experiential therapy and after care services. The program utilizes the Group Guided Interaction (GGI) in order to teach residents how to develop responsible thinking, behavior, team work, and support of peers.
- Intensive Therapeutic Long-Term Program for Males 12-18 with two distinctive therapeutic milieus:
- Severe Behavioral Unit
- Inappropriate Sexual Issues Unit
- Males, ages 12 to 18 years old
- Full-scale IQ above 70
- Is impulsive/irresponsible
- Has problems with anger and aggression
- Demonstrates a low degree of empathy
- Lacks self-disciple
- Sexual perpetrator
- Exhibits poor coping skills
- Is non-compliant with authority
Whom Do We Serve?
Sequel TSI Courtland serves adolescents who cannot be served in a less restrictive environment. Our residents typically have failed to acquire lasting benefits from outpatient or short-term hospitalization. Common primary diagnosis: Conduct Disorder, Depressive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Our mission is to provide a comprehensive educational program that will enable the residents to maximize their potential as they will have the knowledge to shape the future and become productive citizens who are contributing members of their community and society. To this objective we will follow the defined principles of our beliefs.
- Every student placed in our care is capable of learning.
- Every child placed in our school has a goodness and strength to be found, regardless of the problems or unacceptable behavior.
- The physical and emotional health of our students is paramount and a physically and emotionally safe environment promotes student learning.
- Every student is worthy of respect and their dignity as a human being should be considered at all times.
- Each student has a unique style of learning and the faculty should strive to meet the learning needs of each.
- Goals and commitments help teach discipline and direct students toward having productive lives.
- Every student is valuable to society and is capable of success.
The time an adolescent spends at Sequel TSI of Alabama programs is traditionally a period of academic gain, which is significant to a child's overall growth and success.
The objectives for our students are to attend school, demonstrate appropriate behavior, and achieve academically, so that they might return with competency and confidence to compete within the public or private school arena, college, military service, or job market.
Students participate in a school program recognized by the state of Alabama as a Specialized Treatment Facility as defined by the state of Alabama, and a Special Purpose Institution as defined by AdvancED, our accrediting institution. All core teachers hold Alabama teaching certifications. A traditional school year, with an academic program based on the Alabama State Course of Study and College and Career Readiness Standards, offers educational opportunity for each resident as a part of his individualized treatment plan. Summer school is conducted for remediation, enrichment and credit recovery as needed by students for courses in which he may have missed or failed in previous school placement.
Providing career/vocational education assists us in preparing students to compete more competently & confidently upon completion of the program. This curriculum prepares residents for life outside of secured residential settings by teaching specific skills & building self-esteem through a variety of activity.
For additional information or to make a referral, please contact:
Director of Admissions
P. O. Box 370
Courtland, AL 35618